Thursday, April 19, 2012

Cookies for the Fire Fighters after a long Day fighting a fire


AFFILIATE NOTICE


This blog participates in various forms of advertising,including affiliate marketing. Thank you for your support.

Clark County - Photo: WBNS-TV

It has been a busy day around my neck of the woods.  Around 11 am today an Oil company caught fire.  Our fire departments are volunteer fire departments and this was a huge fire.  They called for help and help they received,  it has been reported by WHIO TV that more than 50 agencies responded to battle the blaze.


This is what I saw from my front porch

I started hearing sirens and had no idea what was going on, a lady I work with had sent me a message  and wanted to know if the fire was close to my house.  I asked her where the fire was and then went outside, I did not see it before because it was at the side of the house but oh man did i see it now.

I heard sirens up until around 6:00pm tonight.  Because we are a rural community there are not fire hydrants except in our small villages and the school.  The sirens I was hearing all day were the fire tankers running back and forth between the fire and the hydrants filling up to fight the fire.  School dismissed early upon advice of the Sheriff's department.

Still now after 10:00pm there are still fire departments up at the scene.  When Cally got off work she went to the firehouse to see if there was anything she could do.  She stayed and helped clean up the fire trucks as the returned from the fire.  She said they sure would have liked peanut butter cake, I did not have time to do a peanut butter cake and get the icing to set up in time so I made them peanut butter cookies and took them down to the fire house.

It is believed that the fire was accidental.  If you would like to see more pictures and coverage of the fire you can check out WHIOTV.com


These are my favorite peanut butter cookies.  The original recipe is over the top peanut butter cookies, I have made them the loaded way before also, but they are really rich.  The over the top peanut butter cookies are the peanut butter cookie and then you add chocolate chips and part way though baking you put reese cups on them.



Peanut Butter Cookies
adapted from Real Mom Kitchen

3/4 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup peanut butter
2 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 1/2 cups flour

Mix the ingredients down to the vanilla.  Add soda, salt, and flour. Scoop Tablespoons of dough onto cookie sheets covered with parchment paper.  Flatten cookies with bottom of glass dipped in sugar.  Using a fork make criss-cross patterns on top of each cookie.  Sprinkle sugar on top of each cookie.  Bake in 350 degree oven for 10 minutes.  Cool on cookie sheet then move to a cooling rack.