Saturday, July 7, 2012

Lemon Cheese Bars


AFFILIATE NOTICE


This blog participates in various forms of advertising,including affiliate marketing. Thank you for your support.

This has been one crazy week.  On Friday June 29 and Sunday July 1 we had 2 of the worst storms I can ever remember.  It has been so hot here one day this week our house thermometer said it was 109 degrees, and these storms popped up and the wind was blowing at what seemed like 100 mph.  We were without electric with both storms but the worst on Sunday we had electric back on within 8 hours.  But I had already emptied the fridge out and had thrown away a lot of stuff that I did not have room for in my 2 coolers.  Guess it was a good way to clean out the fridge.  We ended up with roof damage on the house and barn. My ceiling in the kitchen is wet. The fascia was torn off the barn and my Holland grill took a flying leap off of the deck.  The insurance adjuster was out yesterday and the claim is underway.  Tomorrow the weather man is saying the heat is suppose to break, I just hope that does not mean more storms when the humidity breaks.

My best friend in the whole world, Cindy, text me this morning to tell me she was baking banana bread, oh that sounded really yummy at breakfast time! That put me to pondering what I was going to bake today to put on the blog.  Well it has taken me all day to decide.  But I finally remembered these Lemon Cheese Bars from the blog Sweet Treats and More.  Lemon is one of my favorite flavors so when I saw these a few weeks ago I knew I would eventually make them.

They were really easy to make.  I love recipes that start out using a cake mix, when you see that in a recipe you know it is going to be an easy and fast recipe.  I have tried them both at room temperature and out of the fridge cold.  I prefer them cold.  They remind me some of lemon bars but with the crust being lemon and then the creamy lemon filling and the dry lemon topping covered with powdered sugar they are way better than lemon bars!

Lemon Cheese Bars
Sweet Treats and More

crust:
1 lemon cake mix
1 egg
1/3 C oil

filling:
1  (8oz) cream cheese, soft
1/3 C sugar
1 egg
1 T lemon juice

Mix dry cake mix with egg and oil until crumbly.  Set aside 1 C of the crumb mix and pat the rest into a greased 9 x 13 in. pan.  Bake for 10 minutes

Beat the cream cheese, sugar, lemon juice and egg until creamy and spread over the baked crust.  Sprinkle the reserved crumbs on top and bake another 15 minutes.

Sprinkle with powdered sugar.  Let cool then cut into bars and serve.