Sunday, August 23, 2015

Powder Sugar Donut Holes


My favorite part of a glazed donut is the donut hole.  So when I saw this donut hole recipe on the Internet I knew I had to make them.  Especially since they did not require yeast or for the dough to rise.

One of these days I am going to tackle a yeast donut recipe.  The donut holes reminded me of funnel cakes that you have at festivals and fairs.  When I was mixing up the batter it made me think of pancakes.  These little gems sure are tasty!


Powder Sugar Donut Holes
slightly adapted from King Arthur Flour

Doughnut Batter

1 cup milk
1 egg
1/4 cup butter, melted
2 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt


Heat 5 cups oil in skillet or pan.  You want the oil to be at least 1 inch deep.  It is ready when it reaches 350 degrees

In a mixing bowl mix all dry ingredients, set aside.  Mix together the milk and egg.  Add the milk/egg mixture to the dry ingredient and mix briefly.  Add the melted butter stirring to make a thick/soft dough batter.

When the oil has come up to temperature, use a cookie scoop (or spoon) to drop balls of batter into the hot oil.  Fry the donut holes for 2 minutes on the first side or until they are a deep brown.  After 2 minutes turn the holes over and fry for an additional 2 minutes.  Transfer the donut holes to a baking sheet lined with paper towels to drain and cool.

After cooling, place 1 cup powder sugar and a bowl and toss donuts in to coat....enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. Yum, these look great. My almost 2 year old daughter loves donut holes and always want's a bag from the grocery store when we go shopping. Can't wait to quit spending that money and just make her some! I'd love for you to come link up with us over at Throwback Thursday's link party http://tornadoughalli.com/2015/08/throwback-thursday-link-party-3/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...