Friday, September 25, 2015

Slow Cooker Cinnamon Applesauce


AFFILIATE NOTICE


This blog participates in various forms of advertising,including affiliate marketing. Thank you for your support.

Bill and I have been on a mini vacation.  We left last Saturday morning and drove to Lexington to spend the day with Billy.  We toured Woodford Reserve Bourbon Distillery and Did wine tasting at Talon Winery.




Just after we crossed over into Kentucky we stopped at Devou Park and took this picture of the Cincinnati Skyline


Here are some pictures from our Distillery tour





On Sunday morning we left Billy's and headed to Tennessee.  We had such a great time hiking in Tennessee.  We visited and took pictures of 5 different waterfalls, saw a bear and met some new friends on our adventure.

Here are the waterfalls that we visited


Abrams Falls


Grotto Falls


Cataract Falls--- While taking picture here at Cataract we met a little girl who I would say was 4 years old.  She came up the trail and saw Bill and I sitting on a bench in front of the falls.  She proceeds to tell us about all the treasures in her hand that she has found along the way.  She had an acorn, a flower and some berries.  She introduced us to her stuffed Cat whose name is Star.  Her mom told her to get in front of the falls so she could take her picture.  The little girl jumps up on the bench beside me and says come on Gram lets get our picture taken.  She decided she did not want her picture taken with the falls behind her she wanted it taken with her new friends.  Bill and I thought that was sweet she wanted us in her picture.  Her dad was teasing that we were the family she did not know she had.


 Meigs Falls (I used my selfie stick, Bill was not thrilled but he was a good sport)


The Sinks


Here is the Bear we saw come out of the mountains at Cades Cove



We met these lady's while we were at a pull off taking pictures at Meigs Waterfall.  Bill had finished taking pictures and was heading back to the car and of course I had to get just one more picture before I was done.  After I took the picture this suv pulls up beside me and I see these smiling faces looking at me from inside the vehicle.  I could tell right away they were having a fabulous time. They then tell me their story.... These gals are 60 and have been friends since grade school in St Petersburg, FL. Three of them still live in Florida and one has since moved to Tennessee.  They are on their annual Girls weekend.  Bill and I enjoyed hearing their story, one was being teased for still having her slippers on and her response was they told her she would not be getting out of the car and another also advised whatever happened at the cabin stays at the cabin....they were a hoot!  I took their picture for them and was tickled when one yelled "this picture is going on facebook"  They sure were my kind of gals!  I hope someday when my friends and I are their age that we too can spend some fun times together just as they are.

We are home but are still on vacation the rest of the week.  Tomorrow we have family coming to visit from Georgia.  Bill, Cally and I are going to take Dudley and Rosie to Yellow Springs.  I will let you all know how that adventure goes later in one of my posts.


I loved making my applesauce in the slow cooker.  Just peel, core and slice the apples put them in the slow cooker with cinnamon sticks and apple cider and wait until they are tender...easy peasy!


Slow Cooker Applesauce

3 1/2 pounds Apples  (I used Jonamac) 
2 cups apple cider
2 cinnamon sticks (3 inches long)
1/8 cup sugar (for after apples are cooked and mashed)

Peel, core and slice the apples.  Put the apples, apple cider and cinnamon sticks in the slow cooker and cook on high until tender (mine took about 2.25 hours)  Drain the apples and place into a bowl.  Take a potato masher and mash up the apples until the desired consistency (We like ours a little chunky) Then stir in the 1/8 cup sugar  ( you can add more or less sugar according to your taste) You can eat it warm of place in the refrigerator.  Store left overs in the refrigerator.