Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Skillet Almond Shortbread


AFFILIATE NOTICE


This blog participates in various forms of advertising,including affiliate marketing. Thank you for your support.

Happy National Cookie Day!  This Skillet Almond Shortbread is amazing.  We love shortbread and I know I have said it before....I LOVE ALMOND FLAVORING.  I saw Trisha Yearwood make this on her cooking show and knew I would be making it.  We have fallen in love with it and I have baked it 3 times in the last week.  It is crunch on the outside and soft and almost doughy on the inside.  It is melt in your mouth good.  Trisha bakes hers in a 10 inch cast iron skillet, I only have a 9 inch cast iron skillet so I just increase the baking time by 7 minutes and it has baked up just fine.


Skillet Almond Shortbread
Trisha Yearwood

1 1/2 Cup plus 2 T sugar
1 1/2 sticks butter, melted
2 large eggs
1 1/2 Cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 Cup sliced almonds with skins

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.  Line a 10 inch cast iron skillet with foil and spray the foil with cooking spray.  In a large mixing bowl, stir 1 1/2 C sugar into the melted butter.  Beat in the eggs one at a time.  Sift the flour and salt into the batter.  Add the flavoring and stir well.  Pour the batter into the skillet.  Top with the sliced almonds and the remaining 2 T sugar.  Bake until slightly brown on top about 35 minutes.  Cool the shortbread in the skillet.  When cool, use the foil to lift the shortbread from the skillet, remove the foil before serving.