Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream


AFFILIATE NOTICE


This blog participates in various forms of advertising,including affiliate marketing. Thank you for your support.

Sorry I have been mia  missing in action lately.  I have been busy getting ready for a family get together for our 25th wedding anniversary.  I have been making cookies and lots of lasagna that I have put in the freezer until the party is here this weekend.  Today I am finishing up my cleaning and going to run to the store again.  Seems like I have been to the store everyday this week so far and I know I have to go back on Friday to get my last minute things and my fruit.  I will be sure to take lots of pictures of everything so I can share with you all next week.

I did find time to make this scrumptious Strawberry Ice Cream.  I think we are about done with the strawberries now so after this we will move on to different recipes.  This ice cream was really smooth and creamy.  I do not like chunks of strawberries in my ice cream but Bill does so I did put little chunks into the mixture and I really did like them.  I think because I cut them up small.  The bits of strawberries were frozen and good.  I think this ice cream base would be good with other flavors also.  I am thinking about trying it with some peanut butter and chopped Reese cups.  Then serve it with hot fudge on top.....just typing this is making my mouth water!

Well on to the recipe because my break from cleaning is almost over......lol



Strawberry Ice Cream

1 C whipping Cream
1 C milk
5 egg yolks
2/3 C sugar
vanilla bean (optional)
1 t vanilla extract
2/3 C strawberry Puree
1/2 C chopped Strawberries

Mix egg yolks and sugar until light and fluffy.  Combine milk, whipping cream and a sliced open vanilla bean (if using vanilla bean) in a sauce pan and heat until scalded.

Take out the vanilla bean and scrape out the seeds and put the seeds into the milk mixture, discard the vanilla bean.  Put some of the scalded milk mixture into the egg mixture and mix well so the eggs do not cook.  Then add the egg mixture into the pan and cook until the mixture reaches 170 degrees.

Take pan off the stove and add puree, chopped berries and vanilla extract into the pan.  I put my pan into a sink of ice water to cool down.  Once it was cold I put it into mix ice cream maker and made as directed (mine churned for almost 40 minutes before it shut off)  You can also cool the mixture down and then place in the refrigerator until you are ready to put it in your ice cream maker.