Saturday, September 26, 2015

Slow Cooker Bean and Ham Soup


AFFILIATE NOTICE


This blog participates in various forms of advertising,including affiliate marketing. Thank you for your support.

Bill and I found an Amish Store while we were in Kentucky.  I was not too impressed with the store as it was not an "actual" Amish store like we usually shop at.  I did however find a new ingredient that I used in this Bean and Ham Soup.




It was Boyd's Ham Base.  I knew as soon as I took a whiff of it that it was going to make my soup extra good.  It has a nice smokey ham bone smell.  I use a lot of chicken and beef soup base but had never seen the ham soup base before.  When I go to my regular Amish Bulk stores I am now going to check this out to see if I can find it here in Ohio.



We have family (Dudley and Rosie) visiting with us from Atlanta this weekend.  Yesterday we went to Yellow Springs and saw this covered bridge.


We also visited the Clifton Mill


In this picture you can see the Christmas lights the workers are Putting up.  Rosie asked and was told it takes them 3 months to put up all the lights


This is Santa's workshop during the Christmas season at the Clifton Mill.  The sign on the door says that Santa has returned to the North Pole.  Santa's workshop is also starting to get the lights put up across the front overhang.


Bean and Ham Soup

1 pound dry great northern beans
1/2 cup diced onions
1 garlic clove, diced
1 pound cubed ham
6 cups water
2 1/2 tablespoons ham base
1 apple, cored and quartered

The night before place beans in a large pan and cover with water.

Drain beans and place beans, onions garlic, ham, water, apple and ham base in slow cooker.  Cook on low for 6 to 7 hours or until beans are tender.