Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Strawberry Champagne Cake




Last week I found 2 new favorite blogs, This Gal Cooks and Frugal Foodie Mama.  While exploring their blogs I signed up for a  Spiked Recipe Challenge.  In this months challenge you have to use Champagne in your entry.

 

I decided I was going to do a desert.  Strawberries and Champagne just seem to go together.  After that thought, I decided to make a cake.  I started with the idea of making my cake like the sunsational cake I have made in the past.  I knew I wanted a white cake mix and strawberry jello.  When shopping for my champagne I picked a blush champagne, that just seemed more like it would go with strawberries.  I always like to add pudding to my cakes as it seems to just make them a little fluffier. Since it was called a Strawberry Champagne Cake I felt it should actually have some strawberry puree in the cake instead of just the strawberry jello flavoring.


The icing I put on the cake was adapted from Cally's graduation cake.  The Dream Whip icing is scrumptious.  What could be better than a butter cream icing with the addition of Champagne...yummy!  I found the idea to make a strawberry flower on my cake from another of my favorite blogs , Lick the Bowl Good.......Thanks Monica !


Stay tuned and I will let you know how I do with my entry in the Spiked Recipe Challenge.




Strawberry Champagne Cake

1 box white cake mix
1 small box strawberry jello
3/4 C champagne
1/2 C oil
1/2 C crushed strawberries
1 small box white chocolate instant pudding
4 eggs



Mix together and beat for 3 minutes

Pour into 2 greased and floured 9 inch round pans.

Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.

Cool cake completely on cooling racks before icing.


Champagne Dream Whip Icing

1 oz Dream Whip
1/2 C cold champagne
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 t almond extract
1 T butter, softened
3 T heavy whipping cream
2 C shortening
2 lbs powdered sugar

Strawberries for decorating the top

Combine dream whip, champagne, vanilla extract and almond extract with a mixer on low until combined, increase speed to high and whip until mixture begins to look fluffy (about 4 minutes)

Add shortening, whipping cream and butter.  Combine with mixer on low speed, scrapping sides of bowl as needed.  Once combined, mix on high for about 2 minute.  It should look like frosting.  Add powdered sugar, 1 C at a time, mixing on low after each addition.


Decorating tip:

I used an egg slicer to slice my strawberries.  Then I start at the edge of the cake going around the cake until I come to a little hole in the center where I placed a whole strawberry.



23 comments:

  1. Hi Nina! I am checking out some of the other entries on the Spiked Challenge and have to say yours looks fantastic! I made panko chicken with a champagne sauce... maybe we should pair th 2 together! I will also follow you along! Have a great day. Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Strawberry cake is my all-time favorite cake. I used to ask my Mom to make it as my birthday cake every year. Beautiful cake. I went the savory route w/ catfish and risotto. Love your blog! have a great day! Paula www.callmepmc.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nina!
    Your cake looks AMAZING! You did a lovely job at decorating it. I wish I could reach through my screen and grab a slice right now! :) Thanks for participating in the Spiked! Challenge. :)

    Julie @ This Gal Cooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for hosting the challenge. I will be entering more!!

      Delete
  4. This is beautiful and looks so good! :)

    Thank you so much for entering Julie and I's Spiked! Recipe Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is the prettiest cake i've ever seen! i'm a little worried about my chances now in the spiked challenge! :) lol
    i'm pinning this to my champagne board on pinterest now.
    happy tuesday!
    ang

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful cake.... I'm your newest follower via GFC. Come and visit me at My Sesame Seed Buns sometime :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a beautiful cake. New fan from Never Dessert You.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I stopped by your blog...everything looks awesome!

      Delete
  8. Olá Nina
    O bolo está com um aspecto maravilhoso...divino!
    Um belo final de semana!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi! I see in your post that you said you added strawberry puree. I don't see that in the recipe. How much did you add? Did you omit something? Did you make the puree? The cake looks wonderful and I can't wait to try it! Thanks! Gmalisal@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. sorry for the confusion, I was calling my crushed strawberries the strawberry puree. I just put my berries into a food processor and chopped them up. I added enough berries so that after processing them they measured 1/2 C...by putting them in the food processor it made them more liquid (more like puree) than just chopping them with a knife.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, gotcha! That makes sense. It just looks so good I wanted to be sure I got it right! Have a GREAT day!

      Delete
  11. Beautiful Strawberry cake. Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week; I hope you’ll join us again!



    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino

    The Chicken Chick

    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Strawberry cakes are so delicious, and I like the touch of champagne! Yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am making this for our Mother's Day celebration tomorrow. I'm hopping mine turns out as beautiful as yours! Is it ok to put the strawberries on top of the cake a day before or should I wait until tomorrow? and does the cake need to be kept in the fridge overnight?

    Thanks,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete